Friday, April 29, 2011

Nikwax Cotton Proof and SunGuard

I have found two great products to waterproof and provide sun protection to my Sunny Soleil hats.  I just wanted to share some information about the products I am using in case you were curious.

http://www.nikwax.com/

Wash-in waterproofing for cotton, polycotton and canvas.
Adds water-repellency and revives breathability.
Benefits of using this product:
Adds water repellency to cotton and polycotton and maintains breathability
Prolongs the life of gear and optimises performance in wet weather
Easy to apply - can be used in a washing machine or by hand, no tumble drying required
Can be used on wet fabric
Inhibits rotting of canvas caused by dampness
Will not affect cosmetic appearance
WaterBased - environmentally friendly, biodegradable, non flammable, non hazardous
Does not contain fluorocarbons


https://sunguardsunprotection.com/
Washes UPF 30 sun protection into everyday clothing
Blocks more than 96% of the sun's harmful rays
Protection lasts through 20 future washings
No need to buy special garments
Recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation



I've also had someone ask me about insect proofing the hats.  I couldn't find anything I could wash into the material, and honestly, I don't think I would feel that comfortable doing that unless it was essential oils, but then I assume they would have a smell.  Anyways, I couldn't find anything you could do yourself, but you can send your clothing into http://www.insectshield.com/ and they will treat your clothing with their Insect Shield (http://www.insectshield.com/PDF/IS%20Your%20Own%20Clothes%20-%20U.S.%20form.pdf).  It's the same product that all the big companies use when you see clothing that has bug protection.  Even Soy Genius Organic clothing uses it.  Insect Shield provides effective, built-in protection against mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges (no-see-ums) including those that can carry dangerous diseases such as West Nile virus and Lyme disease.  There's such nasty little critters out there.  I may have to try this out!

No comments:

Post a Comment